TWAS-COMSTECH Joint Research Grants
For young scientists in OIC countries working in science and technology to enable them to purchase the research facilities they need to enhance their productivity. Deadline: 31 August each year.
The OIC Standing Committee on Scientific and Technological Cooperation (COMSTECH)-TWAS Joint Research Grants Programme complements the TWAS Research Grants Programme in Basic Sciences and the Research Grants Programme of the International Foundation for Science (IFS).
The programme aims at encouraging the pursuit of scientific excellence in OIC countries by identifying and supporting the best young scientists in these countries; reinforcing and promoting scientific research and strengthening the endogenous capacity in science and technology; and counteracting the brain drain and reducing the exodus of scientific talent from the OIC countries.
- COMSTECH-TWAS Joint Research Grants are awarded to high-level and promising research projects carried out by young individual scientists in OIC countries.
- A Research Grant amounts to a maximum of US$15,000.
- A grant is normally provided for a period of 18 months and is renewable once.
- A grant may be used to purchase scientific equipment, consumables and specialized literature (textbooks and proceedings only). The grant does not cover salaries of researchers and/or students, field expenses, travel expenses and/or participation in international conferences.
The programme provides support for research projects in the following fields of science and technology: earth sciences, engineering sciences, information technology and computer sciences, materials science including nanotechnology, pharmaceutical sciences and renewable energy.
Eligibility of Applicants
- Individual applicants must be nationals of OIC Member States, with a PhD and some research experience, but at the beginning of their careers. They should hold positions at universities or research institutions in one of the OIC countries. As a general rule, the grants are awarded to competent scientists under the age of 40 years.
- Scientists who submit a satisfactory final report on a previous grant may apply for a renewal.
- A written agreement is made between TWAS, the grantee and his/her institute. The institute undertakes to administer the grant according to the agreement and to provide laboratory space, salaries and other facilities necessary for the project. Equipment, consumables and literature provided for the project through the COMSTECH-TWAS Joint Research Grants Programme remain the property of the institute after the project is completed.
- The research grant is kept at TWAS for the purchase of all items requested by the grantee. TWAS contacts the supplier(s) upon receipt of proforma invoices submitted by the grantee in accordance with the itemized budget.
- Awardees are required to submit a final report within one year of receipt of the last items purchased.
How to apply
- Complete the electronic application form (see link at the bottom of this page, under 'related content') using Microsoft Word or any other word-processing programme.
- The first page of the application must be signed.
- If extra space is needed, please attach separate Word documents.
- Applicants should send separately, as an attachment, a detailed CV with the full list of publications.
- Incomplete and/or unsigned applications cannot be considered.
- Completed application form (together with CV and list of publications) should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- TWAS will acknowledge receipt of an application within two weeks. If you do not receive an acknowledgment within this period please contact: Mrs M.T. Mahdavi, TWAS, ICTP Campus, Strada Costiera 11, 34151 Trieste, Italy. Phone: +39 040 2240325, Fax: +39 040 224559, e-mail: email@example.com.
Important: Please be aware that a researcher who has applied for the TWAS Research Grants Programme (either for individual grants or for grants for research groups) cannot apply for the COMSTECH-TWAS Joint Research Grants Programme in the same year and vice versa.
When to apply
The deadline for receiving applications is 31 August each year. However, we strongly recommend that you do not wait until the deadline but submit your application as early as you can to enable us to process your application as quickly as possible.
Notification of TWAS decision
The COMSTECH-TWAS Joint Research Grants Committee will meet at the end of March the year after the August deadline. Notification of the results will be made shortly afterwards.