CAS-TWAS President’s Postgraduate Fellowship Programme
According to a new agreement between the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) and TWAS, the academy of sciences for the developing world, up to 140 students per year from the developing world will be sponsored to travel to China for up to four years’ of PhD study and research.
IMPORTANT: The following is additional information concerning the TWAS-CAS Postgraduate Fellowship Programme tenable in China. It is an integral part of the information given here: TWAS Fellowships for Postgraduate Research.
The CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship Programme will provide students from developing countries with the opportunity to pursue full-time PhDs at the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS), the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC) and/or institutes of CAS around China.
TWAS will be responsible for providing round-trip travel support for 50 awardees each year to and from China, or for providing one way travel support for 80 awardees each year to China. TWAS will make active efforts to secure additional funds to cover more awardees for travel supports. In addition, TWAS will also cover visa related expenses and a contribution to excess luggage fees for stays in China of more than 12 months.
CAS will be responsible for a monthly payment to cover accommodation and living expenses. Successful applicants will receive a monthly stipend (including living expenses, local travel expenses and health insurance) of RMB 7,000 (approx. USD 1,100) or RMB 8,000 (approx. 1,250) from CAS through UCAS, depending on whether he/she has passed a qualification test arranged by UCAS for all PhD candidates after admission. Awardees of the Fellowship will be exempted from tuition fees.
The Fellowship awardee who fails the qualification test twice within one year will face the consequences including:
1. termination of his/her Fellowship;
2. discontinuity of his/her PhD study at UCAS;
3. getting a diploma of completion
All the procedures will adhere to UCAS regulations and rules.
The duration of the Programme is 4 years, divided into:
- Maximum 1 year study of courses and participation in centralized training at the International College of UCAS (IC-UCAS) on Beijing campus, including 4 months compulsory courses in Chinese Language and Culture.
- Practical research and completion of degree dissertation at UCAS colleges, schools and CAS institutes.
Applicants for these Fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family member;
- Be a national of a developing country other than China;
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in a developed country;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of his/her this fellowship.
Applicants for PhD Study Scholarship should also:
- Meet the admission criteria set for international students by UCAS (please refer to http://english.ucas.ac.cn/Admissions/Pages/Article.aspx?ID=78;
- Be maximum age of 35 years on 31 December in the year of application;
- Have a Master's degree before the beginning of the fall semester;
- Provide evidence that he/she will return to their home country on completion of their studies in China according to CAS-TWAS agreements;
- Provide proof of knowledge of English or Chinese language e.g. studies taken in these languages, certificates etc;
- Provide recommendation letters from two professors in a relevant field, for example the applicant’s supervisor at the home institution or head of department and/or an eminent scientist from outside the home institution. If a TWAS member is familiar with the applicant’s work he may ask him/her for a letter of support. Due to privacy reasons, TWAS cannot provide contact details of TWAS members.
Submitting your application
The call for applications is open until 15 June of each year.
1． Download and fill in A) the “Admission Application Form for International Students of UCAS” (http://english.ucas.ac.cn/Admissions/Pages/Article.aspx?ID=78) and B) “Application Form for the CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship” (http://english.ucas.ac.cn/Admissions/Pages/Article.aspx?ID=144) and submit these two application forms (Supervisor’s Comment Pages not to be included) with the following materials to the Office of CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship Programme at UCAS:
o Notarized photocopy of the highest degree certificate (This year's graduates provide a pre-graduation certificate);
o Notarized photocopy of the transcript of all undergraduate or graduate study;
o Curriculum vitae and detailed research proposal;
o Photocopy of the first page of a regular passport [Photocopy of the title page and abstract of each published academic paper;
o Foreigner Physical Examination Form;
o Payment certification of the application processing fee (RMB 600, see the “Admission Application Form for International Students of UCAS” for more details).
Note：Applicants may submit scanned copies of the required application document via email. After receiving the offer of the scholarship, applicants are required to send the original notarized photocopy of their highest degree certificate and the original notarized photocopy of the transcript of their undergraduate or graduate study to IC-UCAS. The detailed requirements and contact information of IC-UCAS will be provided in the admission offer documents sent to the awardees.
2. Contact professors affiliated with UCAS colleges, schools and CAS institutes (http://english.ucas.ac.cn/Academics) and get agreement from a Professor to be your tutor (supervising professor).
3. Send the Supervisor’s Comment Pages in the “Application Form for the CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship” to your host supervisor/ tutor (supervising professor in China), and ask him/her to fill in the comment pages. Make sure that your host supervisor/tutor (supervising professor) will send the completed “comment pages” directly to the Office of CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship Programme at UCAS.
4. The applicant must obtain recommendation letters from two professors in a relevant field, for example the applicant’s supervisor at the home institution or head of department and/or an eminent scientist from outside the home institution. If a TWAS member is familiar with his/her work the applicant may ask him/her for a letter of support. Due to privacy reasons, TWAS cannot provide contact details of TWAS members.
5. The applicants who do need travel support for international travel to and from China, should provide a separate written request and send the request together with the “Application Form for the CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship” to the Office of CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship Programme at UCAS. CAS will coordinate with TWAS to process and make decision on travel support issues.
*NO MATERIAL IS TO BE SENT TO TWAS!
Queries concerning the call for applications to the TWAS-CAS President’s Fellowship programmes should be directed exclusively to: email@example.com
Office of CAS-TWAS
President’s Fellowship Programme
University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS*)
Add.: 19A Yuquanlu, Beijing, 100049 China
Tel: 86-10-88256424; 86-10-88256206
*UCAS is a research-intensive university with around 40,000 postgraduate students, supported by more than 100 institutes (research centers, laboratories) of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), which are located in 25 cities throughout China. Founded in 1978, it was originally named the Graduate University of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, the first graduate school in China with the ratification of the State Council. UCAS is headquartered in Beijing with 4 campuses and is authorized to grant doctorate degrees in 39 primary academic disciplines, offering degree programs in ten major academic fields, including science, engineering, agriculture, medicine, education and management science. UCAS is responsible for the enrollment and centralized management of the PhD candidates of the CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship Programme. Website: http://www.ucas.ac.cn/